Advice needed from bookbinders

DiscussionsBook Arts

Rejoignez LibraryThing pour poster.

Advice needed from bookbinders

Avr 17, 2017, 2:18pm

I'm writing a little story in which one of the characters is producing limited runs of letterpress poetry books and other custom orders. In the name of accuracy, can anyone give me suggestions about specifications regarding the equipment used, i.e. manufacturer, size, binding tools and equipment. I'm envisioning that these books are sewn, have fine bindings and tipped in prints. I'm trying to be as realistic as possible, because you know what I'd be in for if I get it wrong. Thanks for any ideas.

Avr 18, 2017, 4:55pm

Poetry books, letterpress or not, tend to be rather small in terms of numbers of pages. A binding format that works well with shorter works is sometimes called Japanese binding. Here is one of many pages on the topic. I think it might be a good candidate. There are, of course, videos as well.


Avr 19, 2017, 3:26pm

Thank you!

Avr 19, 2017, 3:48pm

Some things needed - not a complete list!


Book press
finishing press
sewing frame


bone folders
paper knives
linen tapes
linen thread
silk for headbands
glue brushes

Here are a couple of websites that sell bookbinding equipment. Should give you plenty to be going on with.

John Neal:

And just because they're cute, some equipment for making miniature books:

Avr 20, 2017, 8:38am

Wonderful! Makes me want to go into the printing business.

Juil 21, 2017, 9:10am

Not exactly related, but best beloved did just find an antique bookpress for my birthday. :)
It's got a little rust, but will get some love and attention this weekend.

Juil 21, 2017, 9:22am

Oh, lovely! A used bookstore that had been in my neighborhood had one, and I wanted to buy it, but they said a) it wasn't for sale, and b) if it were, there was a waiting list. ;-)

Oct 12, 2020, 4:12pm

Back with another question. Is there a technical term for a book that’s made in an odd shape. For instance I’ve seen a book cut in the shape of a guitar, another in the shape of a fan. They usually are shaped to resemble the topic. If you were tasked witH creating such a book what term would you use?

Oct 12, 2020, 4:30pm

>8 varielle:

Oh, interesting question! I don't know that there is one specifically for oddly-shaped books, but they might fall under "artists' books".

Modifié : Oct 27, 2020, 4:27am

>8 varielle: At first, I had misread what you were asking about and thought it was this kind of folding book art:

Instead, I think you're looking for 'non-rectangular books' or die-cut 'shape books'.

Oct 27, 2020, 9:39pm

Yes, die-cut is it.